Hi Greg,

you wrote on Sun, Oct 17 1999:

>>zillions of front-ends for encoders, I don't understand, what makes
>>this particular program so unique, that it can't be GPL'd.

>I'm glad to have some backup here.. Sometimes I feel like a crazed nut,
>crying out on a soapbox about issues no ones cares about.. :)

AOL. (Me too). The world is changing rapidly, nobody seems to care
about the "old" spirit of the internet, especially usenet. Almost no
more real names, nobody understands, why they should switch off HTML
("hey, everybody has Outlook and HTML looks so much nicer"), limit
their line-length to e.g. 78 chars. But hey: W*ndows 2k will probably
play a nice multimedia clip when it GPF's ;-) (General Protection
Fault). Or M$ rents the blue screen as advertising space "this GPF was
brought to you by Budweiser, makers of fine beer" :-)

>As far as what it does: Perhaps it has database stuff, like grip
>currently does.. :)

That's the problem: we don't know :-( Maybe Nils can enlighten us? I
have to admit, that I'm not an active developer involved in lame, so
my opinion doesn't have much weight. And as you stated: nobody seems
to care much nowadays :-(

>If there is anything I'd like to see turned into a lib, it's cdparanoia.
>I'd like grip to be able to store the number of uncorrected skips in the
>ID3 tag, so I have a middle ground between polluting my collection with
>skippy music and ripping with -z (which one of my roomates refuses to do).

Does cdparanoia write that info-file finally? My version III, 9.6
(August 1999) still doesn't. But I have a Plextor CD-rom which really
rocks for grabbing-purposes. btw: -z isn't indicated in my man-page,
-Z disables all good stuff about cdparanoia. If you don't need the
"paranoia" stuff, why not use cdda2wav, that's extremely fast,
especially with the -P0 (no sector overlay) option. Rips about 17x
with my Plextor ...

Sorry for OT, I'll promise to better myself ;-)

Kind regards   Frederick

--
Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks