Ampex wrote:

> how does xing vbr compare to lame, in quality?

I don't have the equipment to do high quality listening tests but other tests have
shown Lame to be better than the Xing encoder.  I found Xing better than Fhg for
joint-stereo distortion.

Greg Maxwell wrote:

> If the cutoff is turned off and on within the file it produces an audible
> effect. Therefor, the cutoff is selectd based on the -Vn setting and stays
> throught the entire file.  I think that -V5 and larger have the cutoff.
> You can always disable the cutoff completely with -k.

Thanks for that info Greg.  It was confusing me and I didn't see that documented
anywhere.  I will open a new thread now on this cut-off issue.

Cheers,
Ross.