It seems that many of us equate "homelessness" with "lack of housing."  This
had merit when housing was tight in 2001, but on 8-Jan-03 the Star Tribune
reported that vacancy rates have increased to 6.6% in the metro area.  The
article said "Leasing agents say this is the worst market they've seen in
more than a decade and they're offering a variety of rent specials" to
attract residents.    This survey included 124,000 apartments - meaning the
surveyors located approximately 8100 apartments vacant right now.

This data implies a problem different than availability.  Are landlords
discriminating?  Is one's income too low to afford rent?  Is one's history
(drugs, crime, etc) preventing them from passing a rental application?  Is
it something I have missed?

I certainly don't mean to be callous or point fingers, I just want to make
sure we understand the problem before we propose solutions.

Regards, Bill Cullen
Hopkins -- Landlord

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.