Re: affordable housing, Bill Cullen from Hopkins suggests that Section 8
rent subsidies might be more effective than publicly subsidized new
construction:
> Given the increasing vacancy rate, isn't increasing the availability of
> vouchers (ala Section 8) a better solution than building more apartment
> complexes?  Do you know there is a multi-year waiting list for section 8
> vouchers - the list is so long that they are no longer adding names?  (my
> experience is with St. Paul PHA, I am unsure if Minneapolis PHA
> has the same
> problem).

[MH] Seems likely, given the fact that operation, maintenance and taxes are
paid by the private landlord when Section 8 vouchers are used.  The rent
subsidies also allow renters a degree of locational flexibility.  I imagine
there are problems with which sources of funds are available, i.e. funds to
subsidize new construction vs. direct rent subsidies, federal vs. state vs.
local funds, etc.  Also, I believe many landlords dislike the Section 8
program.  Any comments from knowledgeable government folks (MCDA, MPHA,
state/local folks, etc.) and private landlords?  Craig, Vicky, Keith...?

Michael Hohmann
Linden Hills