Apparently, neither existing zoning ordinances nor contracts for the purchase of city
property mean anything if you own a City Council member. An example of this is taking
place in the Whittier Neighborhood. The "Elroy" block was purchased from the City of
Minneapolis with a "conditional deed" that specified very specific conditions that
must be met. The deed further specified that the property would revert to the City of
Minneapolis if the buyer failed to perform on any of the conditions of the sale.

A clear indication that the buyer intends to default in the performance of
specifications set forth in the deed is, of course, indicated by an application for a
zoning change and the filing of a site plan to do something completely different from
the development plan conditioned by the deed. In such a case, the City of Minneapolis
should be initiating court action to recover the property. It should NOT be
considering a zoning change to facilitate the flouting of that contract. A new RFP
should then be issued to find a developer to build what was specified in the original
RFP and the conditional deed.

Isn't it time Minneapolis put an end to such "bait and switch" improprieties by
developers? (Not only because of its general fiduciary responsibility to the taxpayers
of Minneapolis, but because of its particular responsibility to the residents of the
Whittier Community.) I feel certain that competent legal minds such as Barrett Lane,
Paul Ostrow, and Scott Benson can read a conditional deed and will intercede to put an
end to this farce and recover the property as specified in the conditional deed.

Even elementary classes in real estate teach that IF the conditions of a "conditional
deed" are not performed, the property reverts to the seller. I wonder about the real
estate expertise of some departments of our City if they should fail to know this! I
also am confident that someone in the Minneapolis City Attorney's office can read and
understand the meaning of the "Conditional Deed" and then explain it to those Council
Members who might not understand the term.

Today, the Minneapolis Planning Commission will consider changing the zoning of the
Elroy parcel specifically to authorize noncompliance with the conditions of the deed
-- before even a single condition of that deed has been complied with or performed
upon! It would seem that contracts (like zoning ordinances or fiduciary
responsibility) do not matter to those who think they "OWN" a City Council Member
(especially in Minneapolis where the old "Ward Privilege" way of doing business may
still be in operation).

It is highly improper for the Planning Committee to consider, let alone to grant, any
such zoning changes. If the City Council does not join the residents of the Whittier
Neighborhood in opposing this miscarriage, then I certainly hope the FBI and the U.S.
Attorneys Office will again carefully scrutinize the Council! One would hope the
ethical members of the City Council would be deeply disturbed by this situation. (And
I am assured they are, given the recent adventures of Brian Herron and Len Biernat
with the law.) I fully expect City opposition to such a zoning change today.

Readers should watch how this plays out today at the Minneapolis Planning Commission.
Will the Commission and the Council act responsibly? I have faith that both the
Planning Commission and the Council will do their duty by refusing to countenance the
application for change and by enforcing the legal contract. If not, some politicians
should be replaced.

If any Council Member disagrees with this opinion, (or who thinks the "Conditions"
specified in a deed contract with the City means nothing), could you please answer
this on the List?

Also, could a legal mind who is familiar with Federal CDBG funds and their funding of
legitimate, City contracted for, "Citizen Participation answer a question for the
readers? Are attempts to suborn voter fraud and coercion to vote in a particular way
for personal gain and to have access to "Funds" or "City Owned" land that had been
improved with Federal dollars a Federal crime? Is such an "Organized" effort a
violation of either Federal or State "Racketeering" laws? The intent of CDBG funded
Citizen Participation strike me as not dissimilar to Trade Unions, which the law was
designed to protect. To me, this is an interesting question, but is anyone else
curious? How about an answer from Hennepin County Attorney Amy Klobachar or U.S.
Attorney Tom Heffelfinger?

Jim Graham,
Ventura Village, Phillips Community, and Sixth Ward of Minneapolis