Hopefully I am not misunderstanding here. I think the big influence
on the low level design of music software, viz callbacks &c is that
the modern desktop and operating system is such a fiendishly complicated
system callback (interrupt led) buffering is essential to mediate the producer
consumer problem in this unpredictable runtime.

With simpler hardware, and total control over it (as for FPGA),
radically different things are possible. I understand why some
here like that approach and prefer the idea of a synth or
processor being a dedicated _device_.

best
Andy