> It certainly helps when you can do interesting stuff in suboptimal ways, and
> still end up using only a few percent of one of your many CPU cores. :-)

Actually, this is my routine for determining whether or not I'm living
in the future: look up "suboptimal" in the dictionary. If it isn't
there, I'm living in the future. Another check is: does my personal
computing device have orders of magnitude more RAM than the major
image processing research main frame at Linköping Tech had back when I
studied there. (check!)