Hi Charles,

> The book collects his Darmstadt lectures from 1954-56

Yes, that era fits better with the ideas conveyed. thanks
for the clear up.

> Isn't the point not to take sides, but recognize the tension?

Definitely. You are absolutely right. That was where I was headed
with my remarks.

> Could very well be that the callback is the result of a cultural
> outlook, and not the result of engineering design…

Embellishing my reply to Adam, it's not so much engineering design
as engineering circumstance. We find ourselves writing code on
general purpose desktop computers with multi-tasking operating
systems and a quite unpredictable kernel schedule. Starting
from a certain necessity the rest of the design seems to follow
quite naturally.

cheers,
Andy