Hi, Peter. I have some of the types of items you described: I keep templates
of tasks as task templates in my templates folder. I keep checklists as
projects with a task for each checkable item. Sometimes I keep procedures in
the note of a task or a task template - especially procedures for repeating
tasks. There are related things that I keep in Evernote, like a task whose
description is a photograph. Or a collection of observations and aspirations
that need to be shaped into a project. Having a fourth data type (note,
after task, project and folder) may be of some help but I can't actually
picture it right away. I should point out that if there were a way to create
a taskless note, I would probably not use it until it could handle rich text
and attachments.

-Dwight

 

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of JimboDimbo
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2013 5:00 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [MLO] Keeping tasks as notes in MLO is a misuse of this task
organiser. Discuss.

 

Of course, we all keep our data separate from our tasks don't we? We can use
Evernote, Onenote, TreePad, filing system, etc., etc. to store all our
notes.

Well, yes. But I always seem to like keeping some notes in MLO for data
which can turn into tasks, which informs or prompts tasks, or which requires
(ir)regular review.

E.g. templates of tasks for repeat actions/projects; check-lists of tasks;
handy reminders of procedures; main notes from standards e.g. I use ITIL and
PRINCE2 note sets to serve as prompts; any sort of "active" (?) data (i.e.
is closely associated or turns into tasks).

This is not a task which has notes, that's fully covered by MLO already.
This is data which does not have a task.

 

The recommendation/response from UserVoice (MLO feature handling) to the
request(s) for notes in MLO is that notes can be tagged as folders. I think
the logic is: If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it
probably is a duck.

But, by relegating notes to be folders, we are missing out on a swan here.

I suggest that active notes are the precursor or foundations of many of our
tasks. GTD recognises (five phases of Mastering Workflow) that
collection/processing/organising of incoming data is essential to producing
a valid set of actions (tasks). Whilst other data collection systems form
the basis of the early workflow phases, it is useful to have data in task
form at the outline and review stage of task management to
help/prompt/remind/inspire us to produce the tasks we need. This is
especially true for me because I find it hard (unnatural) to follow the GTD
5 workflow phases.

These notes should have a special status and are not in any way folders,
even if their behaviour is similar (Completed box replaced by a note icon,
excluded from ToDo).

 

Here's what I have in mind for a simple implementation in MLO:

 

1. Add the option to tag a Task as a "Note" next to the Folder option in the
Properties, General window.

2. A task with the note option selected has the completed box replaced with
a new note icon. Different from the task notes icon.

3. A note can also be a folder, but the folder icon has precedence.

4. All sub-tasks created under a note are by default automatically also
tagged as notes, but can be changed manually.

5. As for Folders, notes are automatically excluded from the ToDo view.

6. Be able to select Notes view to show all notes only and all
folders/projects/tasks which contain notes.

7. Sub-tasks created under notes are treated as ordinary sub-tasks.

 

So, having outlined all that, is it a misuse of MLO to use tasks as notes?

 

I know that there are no real hard and fast rules and we can use MLO in many
ways. But I know it's usually best not to swim against the tide.

 

Do any of you guys keep notes in MLO? Could you benefit from having this
additional type of task?

 

Your thoughts/comments/opinion invited.

 

Cheers,

Peter.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"MyLifeOrganized" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/4d346f23-69b3-4772-bb6d-fd
8ff1a2f3e9%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"MyLifeOrganized" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/006001cea052%240c2ab150%24248013f0%24%40GrantSmiths.org.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Reply via email to