Hopefully this isn't too much of a tangent, but it feels related to what 
you are trying to do (and what I want to do).

I really have two kinds of sub-items that I deal with right now that I feel 
MLO could be better at. One is note like items and the other are "detail 
tasks" that I plan to work on in the context of their parent task (which 
may be a task or a project). I currently use contexts for both (because 
they are easy to activate using hot key) and then filter my views using 
those contexts.

With custom views I can hide the sub-items away pretty well. This is 
important to having a manageable list of just the main tasks.

The problem I am having is I don't have an easy way to see these sub-items 
in the context of their parent task. Some possible ways of solving this:


   - Show sub-items in the side bar when a task is selected
   - Simple but effective
   - Show  sub-items when item is selected (so it kind of auto-expands)
   - Probably tricky to make UX work well
   - Support "zoom to first" pane option for tabs (so a tab shows a zoomed 
   view of the first tab selection) plus the ability to have new window with 
   that view
      - Definitely my favorite, but a power user type approach since it 
      takes multiple windows.
   - Show notes field across the bottom of the window (for more width)
      - This is a poor man's approach, but if notes were more generally 
      usable I would probably just through more sub-items in there. With them 
on 
      the side I find them to small to be of use for a list of items.
      -  
      
 
d
 

On Saturday, August 24, 2013 5:03:27 AM UTC-7, JimboDimbo wrote:
>
> "... What is the functionality, other than the icon, you're looking for?"
>
> Yes (Lisa). That's the question I suppose.
>
> It's just that notes are not tasks and they're not folders. Maybe the 
> request is mainly theoretical?
> I don't know why it's so important to me to carefully flag notes, but I 
> use a separate context (#Note) and an automatic formatting rule to add a 
> note icon in the icons field.
> Dwight is correct that once you start having "notes" then the next 
> (logical) step is likely to be formatting and attachments; then maybe a 
> whole new set of properties. I would not want MLO to change from being a 
> super task manager.
> Also, like SRhyse says, we all use our own techniques in MLO to manage 
> hundreds of tasks and how we view them. I agree that there are actually 
> only a small sub-set of tasks we really need to see (bring to our 
> attention) and it's how we handle the rest that I think this note category 
> may help with.
>
> Having notes as a different category would allow you to:
> 1. Easily format them (with a new Note Format in the Options, Themes and 
> Formatting) to distinguish from the other categories.
> 2. Easily produce views showing them, e.g. Outline: Notes; or Notes by 
> Project, etc.
> 3. Recognise that it is OK to have a lump of data that informs our process 
> model and helps us get stuff done but which is not a defined task.
>
> GTD asks the first question about incoming data items: Is it actionable? 
> This is where notes comes in. No, they are not actionable; but notes can be 
> very useful in processing incoming items and reviewing our tasks.
>
> Here is a bit more explanation about how I manage my tasks, or rather 
> manage them when I actually do review them, since I'm not very disciplined.
>
> Apart from notes to help inform and facilitate new tasks, I would also 
> like a method to move existing tasks down the attention ladder. Sure at the 
> top end we have the starred and goal methods to lift critical tasks up 
> above regular tasks to get our attention, but how about tasks at the bottom 
> end? Ones which we don't want to delete or complete, but are useful to 
> remind us during a review that a topic may come up again or will change 
> into a new set of tasks. I like to turn these into notes, so that they drop 
> out of the To-Do, but remain as items for review under a project or topic. 
> The idea is that the task becomes data for a while until it either stops 
> being useful (delete or archive), or turns into a new task.
> I know these can simply be tasks without dates or hidden in To-Do, but I'd 
> really like them not to be tasks anymore, because they are not. They are 
> not actionable, they are notes.
> In fact any data which helps to manage my tasks and is useful right next 
> to them is in MLO. A lot of it is in the task notes field, but sometimes a 
> separate data task (note) is more useful.
>
> For work I usually have several projects on the go, each has a different 
> set of people. So I use a simple list of the people involved in the project 
> (internal people and external customers, with job titles, phone number and 
> email address) in a sub-task in the MLO project. Then I can use the task 
> properties to set a reminder or review date, rather than leave it as a note 
> in the project task itself.
> This is what I mean by active data, stuff that changes and I need to keep 
> tabs on or refer to quickly, but not a task in the project because it is 
> never a real committed task and is never completed. I view it as data, or a 
> note.
> I also have meeting checklists, design priorities (I work as a solution 
> architect), risks and life-cycle considerations as active notes for some 
> (but not all) projects.
> I don't want these to appear in my To-Do list, but I do need to review 
> them occasionally. If I need to formalise them (maybe 15% of them), then 
> they become a task (or spawn a new task) until my commitment is complete, 
> then they can become a note again.
> They can spawn tasks because (for example), after a review, one of the 
> risks seems more likely or some action needs to happen.
>
> Maybe this is just another way to move tasks between someday/maybe and 
> things we have commitments on. But for me, someday/maybe usually means 
> forget it. Having a notes category of task allows me to easily keep data 
> visible in the project (in Outline view) that I need instant access to, but 
> which does not appear in the To-Do list, unless I want it to (switch to a 
> task).
>
> I think we need some better ways to manage the tasks and meta-information 
> at the edges of our core task set and for me a note category of task would 
> do nicely and fit well with how MLO works.
>
>>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"MyLifeOrganized" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/2333b5c5-07ce-42fa-b742-1b98d3e88c05%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Reply via email to