I'd rate the desirability of it as a 10, and the usefulness of it as a 5. Mainly because I'm well aware that wanting a feature is different than needing one, and because MLO already accomplishes quite a bit, including exactly what you seem to be after in requesting this feature. I would personally use it for time estimates and time logging, and experimenting with custom project status's at the very least if it allowed it. I would not use them if I couldn't use them on the mobile apps, as they are my primarily usage of MLO. The chances of MLO doing any of the above strike me as a 2, not as an insult to MLO, but because I see many other features as lower hanging fruit for them to work on before then, such as more robust Calendar/Date integration and displaying features, formatted notes via Markdown or other means, etc. The iOS apps at present lack robust repeat functionality as far as creating them goes, for example.
Again, I'd love to see this, but if you wanted specifics, the above is my response. I don't think they'd clutter MLO at all because they wouldn't appear if users didn't take the time to make them appear, much like custom views. On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 2:54:32 AM UTC-7, John . Smith wrote: > > > > There's already too many features that are Windows only and I wouldn't > want to see more. > I have looked long and hard at MLO. Compared to almost all other task > management applications it is already overwhelmingly complex but highly > configurable - so much so that most advanced users of MLO seem to agree > that in truth it is more of a task management *platform *than a task > management *application*. > > In short the "not too many features" battle is *already lost* a long time > ago. > > My complaint is that despite trying about 10 different ways of doing > things, nothing I can do really gets it to do what I need it to do. > Personally I am trying to do a slightly modified GTD method and I need an > "Area of Life" field and an "actionable status" (for what of a better > phrase), both of which would need to inherit from parent task whenever any > new task is created. But my feeling is that every user will probably have > their own requirements and that this would be utterly transformative to how > useful the MLO task management application is. > > For any users like Dwight who are mainly using the mobile apps yes, it > would be critical to have some way of implementing these fields on the > apps. The big problem is that I fear that this will never ever happen as > the project becomes much more expensive. The other big problem is that > within any mobile phone app, clutter does become a big problem and so > exactly how this should best be implemented is not clear. > > My latest thought is that 3 such customisable fields is all that would be > required. > > Dwight, SRhyse do you have any thought about this? > - Exactly how useful would such fields really be to you (on a scale 0 - 10) > - What would you use them for? > - How & where would you imaging that they might be added to the MLO mobile > apps? > - What do you think the chances are of MLO doing any of the above would > be? (on a scale 0 - 10) > > J > > > PS The other solution would be for MLO to actually build a field called > "Area of Life" and another one called "Actionable Status" (or similar > names) ... but if hardcoded I can hear the squeals of protest of "clutter" > and of them not being the names that other users want for their own > purposes. > > My tentative solution to the "clutter" / "bloatware" complaint is that > they should be buried somewhere and only switched on as advanced settings > for advanced users. > > > On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 9:22:00 AM UTC+1, Nick Clark wrote: >> >> There's already too many features that are Windows only and I wouldn't >> want to see more. >> In addition to adding these fields you are also requiring that the custom >> view engine be updated to include them. If the mobile apps couldn't use >> them then Views transferred to them wouldn't work either. >> So I agree with Dwight, it needs to include the mobile apps to be >> supported. > > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MyLifeOrganized" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/be2871d3-97ca-481c-8107-38a8aea4a29b%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
