John, if Android supported added fields that would be either supported by or at a minimum not damaged by Windows MLO, there is something like a 70% chance that I would use it. Mu use case would be for comtact information. If I could just type in a contact name that would be good but to be great it would be tied through my address book to Google Contacts, so that by typing the first three or so letters in a name I could search and select in the address book, so that the address would populate a map view and perhaps location alarms, and the phone number would appear as a clickable link.

This would possibly be as high as number seven on my wishlist, which would go something like this:
1. Ability to change open/closed hours per context on Android
2. Ability to set any recurrence patterns (eg every second month) that can be set on Windows
3. push sync across all platforms that I can set and forget
4. synchronize view definitions when doing cloud sync
5. browser interface to (secured) task data on MLO cloud sync
6. integration with appls like ifttt
7. custom fields


-Dwight

On 10/24/2016 6:31 AM, Smith, John wrote:
To get clear Dwight, how useful or not would it be to you to have a
mobile version of what is being proposed here implemented?

On 22 October 2016 at 14:50, Dwight <[email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

    Just to clarify

    I am not opposing the development of a Windows-only solution such as
    you are discussing. I understand and respect Nick's reasons for
    opposing this but for me, it's more like the question of developing
    a Mac version. It is irrelevant to me, and I won't use it. It may
    have enough value for others to warrant developing it, and it may
    not; the people who will experience the benefit should go ahead and
    make their case and I will sit this one out.

    -Dwight

    On 10/22/2016 5:54 AM, John . Smith wrote:


            There's already too many features that are Windows only and
            I wouldn't

        want to see more.
        I have looked long and hard at MLO. Compared to almost all other
        task
        management applications it is already overwhelmingly complex but
        highly
        configurable - so much so that most advanced users of MLO seem
        to agree
        that in truth it is more of a task management /*platform */than
        a task
        management /*application*/.

        In short the "not too many features" battle is *already lost* a long
        time ago.

        My complaint is that despite trying about 10 different ways of doing
        things, nothing I can do really gets it to do what I need it to do.
        Personally I am trying to do a slightly modified GTD method and
        I need
        an "Area of Life" field and an "actionable status" (for what of
        a better
        phrase), both of which would need to inherit from parent task
        whenever
        any new task is created.  But my feeling is that every user will
        probably have their own requirements and that this would be utterly
        transformative to how useful the MLO task management application is.

        For any users like Dwight who are mainly using the mobile apps
        yes, it
        would be critical to have some way of implementing these fields
        on the
        apps.  The big problem is that I fear that this will never ever
        happen
        as the project becomes much more expensive. The other big problem is
        that within any mobile phone app, clutter does become a big
        problem and
        so exactly how this should best be implemented is not clear.

        My latest thought is that 3 such customisable fields is all that
        would
        be required.

        Dwight, SRhyse do you have any thought about this?
        - Exactly how useful would such fields really be to you (on a
        scale 0 - 10)
        - What would you use them for?
        - How & where would you imaging that they might be added to the MLO
        mobile apps?
        - What do you think the chances are of MLO doing any of the
        above would
        be? (on a scale 0 - 10)

        J


        PS The other solution would be for MLO to actually build a field
        called
        "Area of Life" and another one called "Actionable Status" (or
        similar
        names) ... but if hardcoded I can hear the squeals of protest of
        "clutter" and of them not being the names that other users want for
        their own purposes.

        My tentative solution to the "clutter" / "bloatware" complaint
        is that
        they should be buried somewhere and only switched on as advanced
        settings for advanced users.


        On Saturday, October 22, 2016 at 9:22:00 AM UTC+1, Nick Clark wrote:

            There's already too many features that are Windows only and I
            wouldn't want to see more.
            In addition to adding these fields you are also requiring
        that the
            custom view engine be updated to include them. If the mobile
        apps
            couldn't use them then Views transferred to them wouldn't
        work either.
            So I agree with Dwight, it needs to include the mobile apps
        to be
            supported.

        --
        You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
        Groups "MyLifeOrganized" group.
        To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from
        it, send
        an email to [email protected]
        <mailto:mylifeorganized%[email protected]>
        <mailto:[email protected]
        <mailto:mylifeorganized%[email protected]>>.
        To post to this group, send email to
        [email protected]
        <mailto:[email protected]>
        <mailto:[email protected]
        <mailto:[email protected]>>.
        Visit this group at
        https://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized
        <https://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized>.
        To view this discussion on the web visit
        
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/61253bda-03b8-46ce-a415-6ddee07bcdbc%40googlegroups.com
        
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/61253bda-03b8-46ce-a415-6ddee07bcdbc%40googlegroups.com>
        
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/61253bda-03b8-46ce-a415-6ddee07bcdbc%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
        
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/61253bda-03b8-46ce-a415-6ddee07bcdbc%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
        For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout
        <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.


    --
    You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in
    the Google Groups "MyLifeOrganized" group.
    To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
    https://groups.google.com/d/topic/mylifeorganized/aHvLaU7lGuE/unsubscribe
    <https://groups.google.com/d/topic/mylifeorganized/aHvLaU7lGuE/unsubscribe>.
    To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to
    [email protected]
    <mailto:mylifeorganized%[email protected]>.
    To post to this group, send email to
    [email protected]
    <mailto:[email protected]>.
    Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized
    <https://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized>.
    To view this discussion on the web visit
    
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/aae66544-0295-2ce4-9903-89882102b8c3%40dwightarthur.us
    
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/aae66544-0295-2ce4-9903-89882102b8c3%40dwightarthur.us>.
    For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout
    <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "MyLifeOrganized" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
an email to [email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
<mailto:[email protected]>.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized.
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/CA%2BrSdyqqrodHK3o41MGu%3DXV_huVmyYwXo5pbzRfH3v_B8W2v%3DQ%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/CA%2BrSdyqqrodHK3o41MGu%3DXV_huVmyYwXo5pbzRfH3v_B8W2v%3DQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"MyLifeOrganized" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/fdf89b75-55d3-f98f-95db-7635bbd5e34c%40dwightarthur.us.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to