I've had 2 74141 chips fail on my Ramos prototype within the span of a
couple of years. In each failure a digit would always stay on. I'm not
sure if this was my fault, but I tried to take every precaution with
my circuit design. I drove 4 in12's at 170v dc with 4 russian 74141
chips.

At this point, I don't want to use them anymore. I feel like there's
not point in relying on old soviet ic's when you can use modern solid-
state technology with a little extra effort. Granted, the 74141's are
so damn easy and convenient to use. The HV5530 look awesome,
especially with the built in shift registers. If I were making one-
off's i'd just use those. But you can only drive 3 tubes with one
chip, and with a 4 digit clock, the unused 2 channels are a waste,
especially looking at the high cost of the chip (if you're mass
producing clocks this is prohibitive).

On the production Nixie Ramos clocks I intend to use these:
http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/PMBTA42DS.pdf They are dual
NPN 300v transistors that are really cheap. The downside is that there
are only 2 transistors per chip, so that's 5 per digit, so they are
going to significantly increase your part count on your board. But
they seem ultra-reliable, and at the cost I think they justify the
added part count.

-Paul