> ...This is the case with the DMMT5551S. Only downside is that they are
> 180V models, so they are probably barely sufficient for your clock. I
> know there's been a lot going around that 50V would be enough etc etc,
> but if you really want the maximum performance of your clock/watch
> including PWM,..
>
> Michel

180V on the cathode side is plenty good. If you want compact, then a
multiplexed design, will yield the lowest part count. Also a mux'd design
will allow you to do the blanking and PWM on the anode side.

You should really get some nixies in front of you. Power them and monitor
them, in all kinds of circuits, to get comfortable in their behavior,
before you commit to any particular circuit. Here's a link to a scope image
of a nixie in a mock up mux'd circuit:

http://threeneurons.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/timing01.jpg

Note, that no current conducts initially, and ionization takes some time.

We can discuss this all day long, but it seems to be "trying to teach a pig
to sing". The only way for you to get a handle on it, is to get intimate
with it. Play with some nixies in 150 different ways. "Characterize" their
traits, and document it. Abuse them, to test their limits. Kill a few in
the process. Nothing is learned unless you're willing to "smoke" a circuit.