Hi All,

Having just spent a day with Ruth (among others) and thoroughly enjoyed
talking with her about the Karens, I've decided to rise to Marc's challenge
of explaining on the list what the development means to me.

I often quietly follow links and engage with the postings made here, but
most of the time I am either interested or not, delighted or not. Etc.

When Karen made her statement about opening up her email address, my first
reaction was distress. And, being an ironic sort of a being, my next
reaction was sheer pleasure that something had shocked me so much. And then
curiosity set in as to why.

My thoughts ran 'But I won't know if it's her in that discussion thread'...
'oh my god, I won't know if it's her any time that she puts a comment on
another posting'... oh lord, I won't know when the adventure is over - if
ever - and I can go back to assuming she's a single being again'.

Then my thoughts ran 'But why should I care that a person whom I've never
had the pleasure of meeting is one person or a cavalcade?' ... 'What does
this say about my interest in identity? (I've been writing papers about the
effects of using digital technologies on identity lately. It's become a bit
of a habit.) In consistency? In using the NetBehaviour list? Is there
something about mappings and "truth" that I need to go away and think
about?'

Clearly there is. I now greet all postings by Karen as potentially
explosive: postings to be opened with care. I now pore over them to see if I
can detect the author. I now berate myself for ignoring wisdoms such as 'the
author is dead', for ignoring these statements emotionally if not
intellectually.

And I have avidly followed the discussion of whether the list will implode
and why it shouldn't. (I should have thought that the very existence of both
the stance and the discussion around it is the self-evident answer.) It's
like a soap opera. I haven't had so much fun with a list for ages.

I wasn't around to see/feel the effect of the artists who mobbed former
lists. My responses are all very naïve. I am grateful for the intervention
and excited. But I think its time is almost up and, looking at the shift in
topics as I run down the waiting email, I am already commenting on a
phenomenon that is shifting shape, over, of its moment.

Thank you Karen. I want to know who you trust so that I know how to trust.

Ann