hi again helen, all.

like any avenue designed 2 act as a public forum, there's many reasons y
lists such as Syndicate evolve>progress>+ [ultimately] decline. in my
opinion, Syndicate progressed thru all 3 stages + had its fair share of
interesting content, engaging dialogue, empty arguments, considered replies,
technical hitches, experimental form[attings], standard list displays,
passionate users, power-egofied abusers, moderator/admin hassles, pr guff,
power plays, extended debates, censorship wrangling etc. i [personally]
found the list declined rapidly when encountering shifts towards
media-replication that lead it to operate as a more closed arena [such as
dealing with cross postings across various art lists at the time]: in
particular i found 1 "owner" [essentially a moderator] espoused a lock-down
approach [while trying to deal with wot they perceived as information
overload] that essentially reduced the list 2 elitist, 1 sided
monothreading. again, i'd like to stress here that this my only my personal
recollection. the lifespan of such forums + how ppl perceive>deal with the
waxing + waning of them is, overall, fascinating.

chunks,
@netwurker [mez]

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Helen Sloan <he...@scansite.org> wrote:

>  Hi
>
> Netwurker - It would be great to find out more about your opinions.
>
> Alan – your practice is not miserable
>
> And I remember runme.org a little.
>
> My posts were just a little caution on causing potential for a community to
> implode when there are enough sectors and people out there who would be glad
> if that happened. Look at something like Republika and Big Society in UK. It
> uses much of the language that has been used by net artists and theorists
> over the last two decades and yet most likely has a very particular and
> negative approach to self organised communities.   In some ways it relates
> to Marc’s previous post on Digital Surplus. I’ve not got time to write about
> this now but was alluding to it last night rather badly... After my festival
> finishes I’ll try to articulate better next week in a post if it is still
> relevant.
>
> All best
> Helen
>

> On 12/7/10 00:51, "mez breeze" <netwur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> hi helen,
>
> i'm not dismissing your comments at all, i'm simply responding directly to
> simon. in terms of your opinion that my actions accelerated syndicate's
> decline, I respectfully disagree. if you have any qs or would like my direct
> opinion, pls don't hesitate to ask [here or back-channel].
>
> chunks,
> @netwurker
>
> In which case my own practices are probably miserable...
>

> - Alan

Reality Engineer>
Synthetic Environment Strategist>
Game[r + ] Theorist.