Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 06:16:46 -0800
From: Walter Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mail.dlu blob?


Mark:

     I've not had a problem in this regard under the earlier betas. 
I've tested this for a mail file (CCMAIL.DLU) containing nearly the 
number of bytes you mention. As for MAIL.DLU, I've never encountered a 
MAIL.DLU that large before. You must be the most popular person in the 
World, you never delete anything, or you're getting APAMmed to 
death... :-) Maybe you're on too many mailing lists? How are you set 
on FREE memory just before Net-Tamer is loaded, and how much is left 
after Net-Tamer is loaded? Some mailing lists can generate strange 
header information that Net-Tamer might not understand. In addition, 
and possibly because of unexpected header information, your MAIL.DLU 
could now be corrupted -- especially if you are deleting some messages 
and keeping some on a regular basis. In fact: even if header 
information was ok, the process of deleting some, keeping some, and 
re-indexing on a frequent basis -- especially for a LARGE MAIL.DLU -- 
can leave you vulnerable to corruption of MAIL.DLU. If your MAIL.DLU 
contains file attachments, and particularly LARGE file attachments, 
this might present a problem as well. I think that, in your 
circumstances and assuming you don't go to another reader, it would be 
better for you to read through your mail and use the <S>ave to 
<A>rchive option in Net-Tamer when you run across a message you wish 
to keep. After you are done, delete everything in MAIL.DLU, or leave 
it alone altogether until you've read everything and can then 
comfortably delete everything in the file.

       In the event you haven't been deleting messages at all -- just 
adding new messages -- I'd guess this comes down to too little memory 
to support such a large mail file, or a corrupted MAIL.DLU. The 
solution for the former is to make more memory available to Net-Tamer. 
There may be no solution to the latter.

                 Walter Scott

In Message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mark at Cross+Road's 
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> had the following to say on Wed, 29 Mar 2000 00: 54:
09 -0500:

MARK> I've download a mail packet about 3-million bytes using the most current
MARK> beta and just cannot get this one to index correctly.
MARK> I've tried the trick of removing the mail.ieu file but that does not
MARK> reindex the file fully?

<><><> News & Views, 24 Hours A Day, 7 Days A Week, Are The Net <><><>

NTReader v0.23(P)/Beta in conjunction with Net-Tamer



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to