Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:12:40 +0500
From: "Mark at Cross+Road's" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mail.dlu blob?


Hi Walter,

On 2000-03-29 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
 74>I've not had a problem in this regard under the earlier betas.
 74>I've tested this for a mail file (CCMAIL.DLU) containing nearly the
 74>number of bytes you mention. As for MAIL.DLU, I've never
 74>encountered a MAIL.DLU that large before.

  NOrmally my mail.dlu file is around 150,000 bytes but this problem
developed right after another lister sent me a windows-message file program
which I generally am aware was over 2-million bytes itself so I can be
fairly dcertain that besides the program file that their are a number of
e-mails in there about 20 or so.  This was also what I recall by listening
to the download of the mail and the number of messages after the "big
program file" downloaded.

 74>lists? How are you set on FREE memory just before Net-Tamer is
 74>loaded, and how much is left after Net-Tamer is loaded?

NT reports about 294K when loading into the first screen level.  After a
mail run it normally states about 355 or so free memory.  From dos-mem
reports around 556K using Drdos #703 with a ton of stuff loaded from the
boot-up.

 74>mailing lists can generate strange header information that
 74>Net-Tamer might not understand. In addition, and possibly because
 74>of unexpected header information, your MAIL.DLU could now be
 74>corrupted

Yes, this is certainly a fear however I can go into Readit a dos reader and
read all of the messages prior to the program file and also read the
"code"/program goop with it's many pages of code so what reader cannot see
can be seen by a viewer program which gives me some hope it can be removed
from the blob.  In the past I have expierenced this problem before even
though I cannot tell you whats the technical details I know that at times a
download of mail can screw-up the mail.dlu file and most frequently removing
the mail.ieu does help to solve the problem.  What I have done in the past
if that didn't fix the problem that way was to make a second mail run on
that mail and frequently that would solve the problem.  Now, since my isp
has changed it's mail server software they "do not" maintain the choice to
to have a "back-up" copy left on the server.  I spoke to Dave about this and
he indicated that this option is specific to the isp's software and that
their's nothing that can be done about that if the isp is not willing to
activate that option.  Thus I must choose "e" to retreve my mail and take
away my second option against a mail.dlu blob.  My isp told me that if I
could teach them how to set this option that they would do it but they are
unaware of that option.

 -- especially if you are deleting some messages and
 74>keeping some on a regular basis. In fact: even if header
 74>information was ok, the process of deleting some, keeping some, and
 74>re-indexing on a frequent basis -- especially for a LARGE MAIL.DLU
 74>-- can leave you vulnerable to corruption of MAIL.DLU. If your MAIL.
 74>DLU contains file attachments, and particularly LARGE file
 74>attachments, this might present a problem as well. I think

No not recently, as I indicated my mail.dlu only hovers around 150,000 bytes
however it's when I recieved a "huge" download that I noted a problem like
this.  I do clean-out the mail.dlu just because of this problem from past
expierences.  The most recent beta's that of last November I though were
working much better with the mail.dlu and ccmail.dlu files and only just
installed the March version of beta and don't know if this caused the
problem but I generally would not think so because this problem was there
long before and the basic reason why there are I suppose a few alternatives
to the reader.exe

 74>your circumstances and assuming you don't go to another reader, it
 74><A>would be better for you to read through your mail and use the
 74><S>ave to rchive option in Net-Tamer when you run across a message
 74>you wish to keep. After you are done, delete everything in MAIL.DLU,
 74>or leave it alone altogether until you've read everything and can
 74>then comfortably delete everything in the file.
 74>In the event you haven't been deleting messages at all -- just
 74>adding new messages -- I'd guess this comes down to too little
 74>memory to support such a large mail file, or a corrupted MAIL.DLU.

I do believe that it is the second because I have download mail attachments
mostly programs of simular size at times without a problem thus the memory
has been there in those cases.  I did try Treader but it doesn't respond
super well with a screen reader program and spoke with the author at one
time but he desires to keep it more gui like or that's what I remember.
Maybe I'll re-download a copy to try again just on this mail.dlu as was
suggested in an earlier post?  Hopefully that could decode the mail.dlu and
I've moved a copy away to safe keeping just to keep trying to resolve it's
problem.

 74>The solution for the former is to make more memory available to
 74>Net-Tamer. There may be no solution to the latter.

That's what I hope isn't the case, do you have the ftp site for Ntreader and
the extra program for dpmi or whatever it was?  I'd like to at least try to
get out what I can tell is there from using the text readers.
     Mark



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to