Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 12:05:05 -200
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Changing user without exiting Nettamer
A while ago (Jun 12th) Ronald Dailey wrote, on switching between
accounts online with ALT-n:
> Since I got a second ISP, I've used that frequently to pick up mail from
> the other ISP's incoming mail server while on line. It works like a
> charm, ...
Has someone tried to trick Nettamer in doing that in a batch-form ?
Using the /An switch allows the mail run only for that single account n,
and quite logically two similar switches on the command line wouldn't
work.
[Besides of my lazy preference to get/send mail with just one command,
I cannont use the ALT-n key combo as there is a TSR on this which I
cannot move to another hotkey without trouble. So this means
consecutive dial-ups for each account: and it's one more telco tariff
unit each time, additionally - all European telcos account one meter
tick for any connection opened.]
BTW, Ronald:
> ...though I can't send mail via the other ISP's outgoing mail server.
> That's not a Net-Tamer fault, it's something that is forbidden (no "relay"
> allowed).
I wonder too what's going on there, as I got problems with the SMTP at
my primary mail server lately again. Earlier on, this effect was
caused by Nettamer's ways of reading (resolving) domain IP numbers -
it followed the earlier RFC rules which were replaced (some time in
'98 I think) by the recent version. To my great regret Nt(XT)-v.1.08
doesn't work with SMTP any more with most mailboxes (but still does
POP3 getmail fine); from Nt-v.1.10/11 on this is mended.
But in the same period that SMTP servers were changed to the newer
rules, the ISPs increased "security" checks too in order to avoid
precisely relaying (i.e., "alien" clients using the server to
send-off mails).
Apparently, ISPs can handle this in a more or less strict way, and most
certainly some make errors in their scripts then. This is quite
evidently the case with the SMTP server at my ISP for the "@inti.be"
domain - at present, it is completely erratic in recognising my login
"signatures", sometimes it works but more often than not I get that
"Relaying denied" snub (no matter what Nt-version or other mailer I
use). It definitely has to do with this server's proxy which has been
set up only some months ago and where they do all sorts of "security"
handicrafting (ten days ago it was down completely for a full day for
that very reason); *and* it must have to do with the checking for the
origins of the SMTP request (ie., dial-in ASP and its dynamic domain
name assignment). On those instances I use sendmail only, without an
immediatly preceding getmail, the "Relaying denied" comes dead sure;
so there is some additional check at the server; perhaps a preceding
logon with the POP3 server puts the "dynamic" IP and domain in some
temporary register, or something the like.
Seen the nuisance with those M$-viruses this overkill is to expect to
increase only.
// Heimo Claasen // <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> // Brussels 2000-06-25
The WebPage of ReRead - and much to read ==> http://www.inti.be/hammer
********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************