Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 15:22:05 +0700
From: "Ronald C.Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Changing user without exiting Nettamer

On 2000-06-25 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

   >Has someone tried to trick Nettamer in doing that in a batch-form ?
   >Using the /An switch allows the mail run only for that single
   >account n, and quite logically two similar switches on the command
   >line wouldn't work.

It would be nice if it could be done, but unless the ISP allows 
"relaying" mail, it's not going to help you all that much.
  
   >I wonder too what's going on there, as I got problems with the SMTP
   >at my primary mail server lately again. Earlier on, this effect was
   >caused by Nettamer's ways of reading (resolving) domain IP numbers -
   >it followed the earlier RFC rules which were replaced (some time in
   >'98 I think) by the recent version. To my great regret Nt(XT)-v.1.08
   >doesn't work with SMTP any more with most mailboxes (but still does
   >POP3 getmail fine); from Nt-v.1.10/11 on this is mended.

I have the same problem if I attempt to do it with Eudora Lite in 
Windows, though the 16-bit Eudora program could also be behind the 
times, even though they still furnish it.  However, I don't think it's a 
Eudora problem, either.  I think that many ISPs don't allow "relay" 
mail.  It seems clear to me that when you log onto one ISP and then 
connect to another ISP's smtp server, the fact that that ISP's smtp 
server can tell that you aren't calling in via their dialup isn't 
something wrong with Net-Tamer or Eudora, it's the way it is supposed to 
be.  
 

   >But in the same period that SMTP servers were changed to the newer
   >rules, the ISPs increased "security" checks too in order to avoid
   >precisely relaying (i.e., "alien" clients using the server to
   >send-off mails).

Exactly, that's what I'm talking about.  The ISPs in question in my case 
are denying access to the smtp server on the basis of not permitting 
"relay" mail.

   >preceding getmail, the "Relaying denied" comes dead sure; so there
   >is some additional check at the server; perhaps a preceding logon
   >with the POP3 server puts the "dynamic" IP and domain in some
   >temporary register, or something the like.

That doesn't work for me.  I can log onto the POP3 server and get my 
mail, but the smtp server, which doesn't require a logon, denies 
"relaying" in the same online session.  It's too bad that you can't get 
and send all your mail to all your services from one logon, but I guess 
it is just not to be.

Ronald Dailey

-- 
RCD

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to