Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 12:27:38 0
From: John Gregory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Old ZOOM zoomer


Hi Walter

On Saturday the 1st of July 2000 at 11.57am Nettamer List
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

  NL>Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 09:44:27 -700 From: Walter Scott
  NL><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: Old ZOOM zoomer

  WS>John:

  WS>Was David ever a Wildcat SysOp?

I'd bet he was but perhaps he could tell us himself?

  WS>...Just about any BBS software
  WS>package in the mid-80s would have modem initialization strings
  WS>for a list of modems. The same was true of the many terminal
  WS>programs available back then (i.e Proccom and Telix). Them was
  WS>the days!

Ironically there's a bunch of similar files that come with Win95 -
have a look at the "mdm*.inf" files in folder "hddref/windows/inf"

  WS>...I miss the simple but utilitarian nature of plain
  WS>ASCII text and the creativity of ANSI color text as designed by
  WS>many SysOps. But I don't miss the long hours of system
  WS>maintenance and the aftermath of hardware failures that come
  WS>from a BBS running 24/7.

I know what you mean it was definitely a labour of love. Funnily
enough there seems to be a discernible move on the net away from the
graphic eyeball assaults we've had back to text. The <google.com>
site is a fine example of this trend combining text and superb
graphics which load quickly and really enhance the page's appearance.

I think 24/7 operation with the XT/ATs of those days was always
pushing things a bit but at least the PCs didn't run so hot and were
usually contained in a rugged and sensibly sized case; not like some
of the sardine tins they come in today <g>

Cheers

jaygee

Mailer: NT v1.11.2  Reader: NTR v0.27b(P)/Beta Registered




********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to