Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 13:48:18 +0700
From: "Ronald C.Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Old ZOOM zoomer

On 2000-07-04 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

   >Also, and significantly, Check-It reports the presence
   >in this PC of no less than two initialization strings.
   >It doesn't say whether they are called or not. One I
   >remember from a previous modem. Next task is to do a
   >grep, find them, and remove them.

What version of Check-It reports that kind of info?  That's interesting.  
However, the only initialization strings that count are ones actually 
installed in a communications program or a dialer like Trumpet (for Win 
3.1) or netdial (used with Lynx) or Net-Tamer.  I have dozens of 
initialization strings on my system, many of them in MODEMS.DAT in the 
directory where I have Procomm Plus 2.01.  However, only a very few of 
these are actually installed, and only _one_ is in use at any one time.

   >Finally, I've never been able to find a good book on
   >modems. Any ideas? I'm lucky enough to have the 100+
   >page manual that came with my Pace modem, but I'm
   >still looking.
   >Mike M

The manual that came with your modem is the best guide.  That's because 
it contains information that applies specifically to that modem and, in 
some cases, to _no_ other modem.  For settings that help with some 
particular software problem you may be able to get information from a 
FAQ such as the one provided by John Navas:
                                    
                    (http://modemfaq.home.att.net/)

Navas' FAQ seems to be a little out of date for some of the newest 56k 
modems, but that probably doesn't matter for many of us <g>.

I've never seen a book specifically for modems that covers modems in 
enough depth to help you if you have a problem perculiar to particular 
brand or model.  The best general newsgroup to go to for help with modem 
problems is "comp.dcom.modems."  You can post your problems and if you 
have enough information on what kind of modem you have, you can usually 
get some help from someone who knows the particular modem.

Ronald Dailey

-- 
RCD

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to