Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 13:56:35 -0400
From: Michael L Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Old ZOOM zoomer



 Hi all

 Just a few thoughts on deducing the manufacturing dates of
 modems (and other devices) in general: 

   * mfrs' date codes on the various chips inside

   * data written on the PCB itself

   * FCC approval codes

   * I/D data held in the ROM (get with ATI1 - ATI6).


 BTW, I've followed this thread with great interest; it has
 been very educational. After experimenting, I now know that
 not all changes I might make to my active configuration 
 get saved to the user profile...this needs investigation.

 Also, and significantly, Check-It reports the presence
 in this PC of no less than two initialization strings.
 It doesn't say whether they are called or not. One I
 remember from a previous modem. Next task is to do a
 grep, find them, and remove them.


 Finally, I've never been able to find a good book on
 modems. Any ideas? I'm lucky enough to have the 100+ 
 page manual that came with my Pace modem, but I'm
 still looking.

 Mike M


--
Mike Mason G4OTY
Winsley, Wilts, UK

Registered Linux User # 138436.
 



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to