Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 10:34:22 -700
From: Walter Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Old ZOOM zoomer


John:

     I ran a BBS for three years on a laptop. That computer is still 
functional. My hardware problems were mainly limited to burned out 
power supplies and crashed hard drives -- the overheating power 
supply causing the hard disk crash. I liked using the laptop because 
of, among other things, the space it saved. Back in 1989, 100 
megabytes of diskspace was plenty for a BBS that was not oriented 
toward file upload/download. Between an onboard 20 megabyte hard disk 
and an external 85 megabyte hard disk, I had all the space I needed, 
and on a laptop. In the summer, I was grateful for the fact the 
laptop didn't make any real heat. (we have no air-conditioning where 
I live) I also liked the relative invulnerability to brief failure of 
electrical service. Back then, I ran the BBS modem and external hard 
disk on a UPS, and the computer itself, of course, could run for a 
period of time from its rechargeable battery without electrical 
service. Thus, the occasional power failures (usually of no more than 
5 to 10 seconds) during Winter windstorms did not mean the BBS was 
down or had to go through a reboot cycle after power came back on.

     But, all this certainly could not have worked out for a BIG BBS 
-- one with several phone lines and the need to support upload and 
download of LOTS of files. I had a friend who ran such a BBS. It was 
as though the hardware -- the computers, the modems, the LAN as well 
as phone cables, the whir of power supply fans, and all else -- 
dominated his existence in terms of their physical prominence in his 
small home. That wasn't for me -- even when I was the most addicted 
to SysOping as I ever was. SysOping ended for me in 1992, and I've 
never had the slightest urge to put up my own website. It's just not 
the same... :-)

                    Walter Scott

In Message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Gregory 
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> had the following to say on Sun, 2 Jul 2000 
06:41:53 -0500:

JG>I think 24/7 operation with the XT/ATs of those days was always
JG>pushing things a bit but at least the PCs didn't run so hot and were
JG>usually contained in a rugged and sensibly sized case; not like some
JG> of the sardine tins they come in today <g>

<><> News & Views, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, are the Net <><>

NTReader v0.27b(O)/Beta (Registered) in conjunction with Net-Tamer.



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to