Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:50:37 -0700
From: "Ronald C. Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: operamail POP3 interface

On 2001-07-26 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

   >Could you let me know the name of the POP3 and SMTP servers so
   >as to gain access to operamail?
   >Are the port numbers the usual ones: 25 and 110?
   >Can they be accessed directly by USER and PASS or do they require a
   >special type of authentication?
   >Apart from that, does anybody on the list know the same information
   >regarding access to Yahoo Mail?

I have Yahoo mail and use Net-Tamer with it.  The name of the pop server 
is:  pop.mail.yahoo.com

The smtp server is:  smtp.mail.yahoo.com

In order to get Yahoo mail, you have to sign up via the web, which means 
it is similar to the way Operamail works, at least from the description 
of Operamail.  Once signed up, you can use the POP server to access your 
mailbox to collect mail and you can send mail via the smtp server.  
Yahoo's security procedures _require_ you to first connect to the pop 
server _before_ you can send mail via the smtp server.  You have to 
enter a user name and password each time, which should help assure that 
no one but you can send mail using your name.  I know this is true 
because I tried going online with Net-Tamer and selecting SMTP from the 
online (F2) menu.  The Yahoo smtp server denied access to me because I 
hadn't logged in via the pop server.  

So far as I know the port numbers are the usual ones, since I didn't 
alter any port in the mail configuration in Net-Tamer.

_However_, _some_ internet providers _may_ block access to an smtp 
server which doesn't belong to them.  I now know this because I was 
sailing along with no problems using my ISP, cwnet.com, to access Yahoo 
mail.  Then, all of a sudden, although I was still able to pick up my 
mail (receive it), Net-Tamer was giving me a "no contact" message when 
it tried to get the Yahoo smtp server to _send_ mail.  It would say "no 
contact" on one address and then try the "alternate" address and say "no 
contact" on that, too.  

I finally had to change my setup to use the cwnet.com smtp server 
instead in order to send mail.  This was per a recommendation in a 
boilerplate reply from Yahoo mail tech support when I posted a question 
about the problem via their web site.  No one at cwnet.com has 
specifically said that they have _recently_ blocked access to Yahoo's 
smtp server, but they have told me that they have a policy of blocking 
"promiscuous" mail servers.  I don't believe Yahoo's smtp server should 
be called promiscuous, because it can't be used by anyone who hasn't 
logged on via the pop server first.  However, my opinion doesn't count.

My other ISP, fgn.net, can access the Yahoo smtp server, so it's 
obviously specific to the ISP whether the Yahoo smtp server will work 
for you.  I don't use fgn.net as much anymore because it's very hard to 
get on line with them at certain times of the day.      

Ronald Dailey


-- 
RCD

Net-Tamer V 1.13 Beta - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to