Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 13:52:50 -0700
From: "Ronald C. Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: operamail POP3 interface

On 2001-07-27 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

   >>to _send_ mail.  It would say "no  contact" on one address and
   >>then try the "alternate" address and say "no  contact" on that,
   >too.
   >I should wish to comment that this sometimes happens to me even
   >when I am trying to contact the smtp server owned by my own paid
   >ISP. I have found that this happens at times when there are too many
   >subscribers trying to access the same smtp server at the same time.
   >It also happens once in a while when the server is temporarily
   >down.  Whenever this happens I just wait for a while and try again
   >later.  Then all will be well.  I don't believe that the service
   >installs any mechanism intended for deliberately blocking my access.
   >Regards,
   >Sam Heywood

I don't dispute what you say from your experience, and I've had that 
experience myself in the past with various providers.  Sometimes the 
server (whether mail or smtp) is not available and there's NO CONTACT 
during DNS lookup and sometimes the server doesn't respond after it has 
been contacted.  However, in this case something else is happening 
_because_ I can use an _different_ ISP to dialup and then switch while 
on line (Alt-N) to the Yahoo setup and then _immediately_ access the 
smtp server.  

I've done this successfully in testing within minutes of failing with 
the first ISP and then dialed in again right after this with the first 
ISP and still couldn't connect to the Yahoo smtp server.  That Yahoo 
server can handle a lot of users and I've never had it fail to respond 
until I had this problem with _just_ this one ISP as my dialup.  

Yahoo _states_ in their online FAQ about their e-mail service that 
_some_ ISP's may block access to their smtp server.  Perhaps they are 
lying about that, but I don't believe they are, based on my recent 
experience.  

Ronald Dailey


-- 
RCD

Net-Tamer V 1.13 Beta - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to