Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 22:44:38 -0700
From: "Ronald C. Dailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: operamail POP3 interface

On 2001-07-28 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

   >As far as any practical considerations go, I think you are right
   >about that.

I did find out one thing, the ORBS site, www.orbs.org, is closed.  

   >out.  There certainly does exist a valid association between Yahoo
   >and spamming because Yahoo is known to sponsor a lot of porn
   >sites. The blocking of Yahoo will result in overwhelmingly popular
   >approval in some areas.  If there is a problem with Yahoo mail the
   >Yahoos have brought it upon themselves.

There are plenty of other sources for porn e-mail and spam to come from 
other than Yahoo.  I don't use my Yahoo account for anything other than 
one mailing list that is hosted by Yahoo groups (it got there by being a 
Onelist group and then being an eGroups group and finally Yahoo).  Apart 
from that, a couple of people correspond with me via my Yahoo mail.  
It's not really a big problem to use my own ISP's smtp server for 
outgoing mail.  If I really needed to send mail from some other physical 
location or computer, I could use the web interface.
   
   >Although you might be using your Yahoo email account in a way that
   >is perfectly legit, you are being punished for reason of
   >presumption of guilt by association.  You may have perfectly good
   >reasons for feeling that this is most unfair, but there is
   >nothing you can do about having your grievance redressed unless
   >you can afford to spend millions in legal fees.

If my ISP were actually blocking Yahoo, I might be a bit unhappy because 
I'd have to switch the setup back to use my _other_ ISP to dialup and 
connect to the Yahoo mail server.  However since _incoming_ mail from 
Yahoo isn't blocked by my ISP, it's doesn't really matter to me.  All 
the ISP is doing is making sure that I don't send spam or whatever out 
by way of their dialup and Yahoo's smtp server.  Since I'm not going to 
do that, I don't have a problem.  I'll just be using their smtp server 
instead of Yahoo's.  The outgoing mail still has my Yahoo return address 
on it anyway and the actual smtp server is clearly shown in the header 
along with the message ID and so on.


Ronald Dailey


-- 
RCD

Net-Tamer V 1.13 Beta - Registered



********************************************************
To unsubscribe from this list,
send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the single word
                     Unsubscribe
as the subject.
You MUST use the same address with which you subscribed!
********************************************************

Reply via email to