and Dennis is waiting for me to make a trip back home so he can exercise both bikes at the same time .... Graham

On Jul 24, 2010, at 12:18 AM, Dennis wrote:

I’d given up motorcycles in the late 80’s at about 43. I’d been riding since I was 17 and had only laid a bike down once (unseen oil slick as I went around a corner once) and I figured I’d had a long and lucky streak. And, my soon to be 2nd wife thought it was a good idea as well. I’d been riding a series of Honda 350s and then a four cylinder Honda 500 and lastly a little Honda rebel 250



That held for about ten years and then I got the itch again.



I went on-line and began to do some research. I knew I wanted another 4 cylinder and I was pretty sure it would be a Honda. I looked and I read and I was amazed at how much things had changed. I kept reading about ‘naked’ bikes and I wondered what the hell those were.



Finally, I began to notice a pattern. I came across several references to the CB700 SC and several people said it was one of the best balanced, nicest looking and low maintenance machines around. I like the look of it a lot in the photos. It just looks clean and powerful.



Anyway, I began to haunt the sales on EBay and for several months, but the only nice ones that came up were bikes in the mid-west and on the east coast. Finally, one came up in Salem, Oregon. I’m was just north east of Seattle so that was do-able. I put some money down on it to hold it 48 hours and jumped in my truck with my friend and we made a day trip of it.



The bike looked as well in person as it had in the ad and it sounded good, so we did the deal and loaded it in the truck and drove home. I felt just like a kid at Christmas. I still hadn’t ridden it. After 10 years, I didn’t really trust myself.



We got it home and unloaded it and I fired it up and took a ride up the road. I was all nerves and memories coming back. The memory of that short ride is burned into my brain. But, it was all good and that’s how the romance began.



I own two of them now (’85 & ’86) and I’ve moved to Christchurch, New Zealand, from Seattle. I’ve shipped them both down here and it is quite possible that they are the only CB700SC’s in the entire country. They turn heads. I’ve been chased down twice by motorcycle types wanting to know what I was riding.



Cheers,



Dennis G.

New Zealand






--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to nighthawk_lovers [email protected]. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/ group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
<DSCN3056sm.JPG>

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nighthawk 
Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.

Reply via email to