The '87 Harleys were indeed an oddball year...nasty carb problems and no other 
years to swap with. No rubber mountings yet either. Nothing can beat these old 
Hondas as far as price and reliability. I like to hear that someone put some 
TLC 
into an old bike too. That's what makes it your own.




________________________________
From: Joey Kelley <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Sat, July 24, 2010 5:51:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Nighthawk Lovers] How'd You Learn About Nighthawk

All,
     My history with motorcycles goes back to, well, fetal. My Dad and
Mom were avid motorcyclists before I came along and were often found
riding with the Blue Knights. (Dad was a Deputy Sheriff briefly) I'm
told that my very first motorcycle ride was in 1982, on a 1982
GoldWing. So to say that motorcycles are in my blood isn't really all
that far of a stretch. Mother put her foot down and the bikes got
sold. Hard to ride three up with a newborn, I admit. The last bike I
remember my Dad having until I was much older was a 650 Yamaha and I
did get a brief ride on that the day he sold it - I was probably 6.
Fast forward until I was about 17 - For whatever reason either Dad or
I had gotten the bike bug. I don't remember who started first. Dad
picked up a 1987 HD FLHTC, which although looked really good had some
mechanical disadvantages that made it somewhat unreliable. I only rode
with him a couple of times before taking a Maine Rider Education
course (MSF certified) that earned me my license in three days. I went
down to the DMV and was issued the first motorcycle only license that
particular guy had issued in 30 years with the DMV. (I had a car
permit, but a motorcycle license - legal in Maine) We had already
found a 1982 Honda Nighthawk 450 in Uncle Henry's (a local classified
paper) and purchased it. 3980 miles on the clock. Carbs plugged beyond
belief, fork seals shot, rubber bad, bad battery, in general in need
of TLC. Considerable TLC later, she passed inspection, with a
different set of carbs salvaged from a 400 cc Honda.
         Over 11,000 miles later, shes still going.
         -Joey

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.


      

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.

Reply via email to