tom wrote:
 > Lyndon Nerenberg <lyn...@orthanc.ca> writes:
 > > At this point, I think the fact that nobody seems to be able to give a
 > > simple, clear, and coherent description of the problem suggests that
 > > nobody really knows what the actual problem is, yet.
 >
 > Well, my problem is that I want the prevailing session locale to be C,
 > primarily because I'm used to seeing output from e.g. "ls" in ASCII
 > ordering.  But I'm finding that nmh, or at least send, is effectively

i had the same issue, and decided that for me, it was the only thing
in the way of changing fully to a UTF-8 locale.  so i do this:

    $ locale
    LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    LANGUAGE=en_US:en
    LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8
    LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_COLLATE=C                      <----
    LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_ALL=

you've likely considered that and dismissed it, but i mention it just in
case.  i've observed no unwanted side-effects.

 > Obviously you could define this as being ls' problem not nmh's problem,
 > but I respectfully disagree.  It was fine for the last twenty years or
 > thereabouts, and nmh changes are what made it not fine.

but i also can't really argue with your logic there.

paul