>Well, my problem is that I want the prevailing session locale to be C,
>primarily because I'm used to seeing output from e.g. "ls" in ASCII
>ordering.  But I'm finding that nmh, or at least send, is effectively
>broken in that locale --- unwillingness to cope with non-ASCII data
>at all counts as "broken" for me.

You're missing the point; nmh can handle non-ASCII data perfectly fine.
I use it that way every day, and so do plenty of others.

What it refuses to do now is create improperly-formatted email messages
when it cannot identify the character set.  Before it would happily
send these messages out; THAT has been broken for twenty years and was
only recently fixed.

And if we're voting ... I would rather have only one additional way to
specify a nmh-specific locale (well, I'd rather have ZERO additional
ways, but I think more than one way is overkill).

(And it occurs to me that even setting the locale properly probably
will not fix your specific problem, as you have described it; forwarding
messages using MIME will).

--Ken