On Apr 16, 9:02 am, Dave <oneblessed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay I give up.
>
> I found a few transfers that were labeled with buckets (big no-no!)
> and fixed those. Now I have an entirely different difference between
> the two. It is something like 26.07. I searched for it and can't find
> anything.
>
> Anybody got a suggestion?
>
> TIA

I ran into issues like this several times when I first started using
MoneyWell so I now verify my accounts balances equal my bucket
balances every time I use MoneyWell so I catch these mistakes the same
day I make them. I wish MoneyWell would enforce this type of checking
by default because tracking down these mistakes weeks after they were
made can be a painful process.

Not sure if this will help, but I've found the following have been the
various sources of account balances not equaling my bucket balances:

1) Future pending transactions: make sure these (with an orange
background) are not showing. Of course if you're only off by 53 cents,
this probably isn't your problem.
2) Not selecting all accounts: make sure you select all of your
spending accounts when doing the compare. But again, this would
probably put you off by more than 53 cents.
3) Unbucketed transactions: make sure all transactions have a bucket,
except for transfers between spending accounts (transfers from a
spending account to a non-spending account should have a bucket on one
side though)
4) Duplicate transactions/incorrect amounts: if you set up future
transactions and then download from your bank, this can be a frequent
problem. Reconcile your accounts to help catch these.
5) Split transactions: I've run into numerous problems with split
transactions. If you have any of these, review each one and make sure
all their children have buckets and the same date and transaction
status (Open/Cleared/Reconciled) and the total amount is correct.

If all of those check out, perhaps your starting cash flow balance is
off as already suggested. Is this the first time you've compared
balances, or did they used to match and they just recently started
diverging?

If you really want to track this down, it's possible to use some SQL
to go back in time and calculate your account balances and bucket
balances for past days and find where you started diverging (I posted
a thread about this a few weeks back). Of course, at this point it
might just be simpler to start over with a new cash flow balance from
the beginning of this month and make sure you keep an eye on the
balances going forward.

-Lance