On Apr 16, 6:24 pm, Druzyne <drew.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For me, having a
> big lump just sitting in a Savings bucket makes it too tempting to
> tell myself it's alright to flow a little bit to another bucket and
> spend it. "Out of sight, out of mind" really does work for me - I'm
> forced to work with what I told myself I would spend, and decide where
> to make sacrifices. I can use simple math if I really have to know
> exactly how much I have saved, just like you can use simple math (or a
> few mouse clicks) to make sure buckets = accounts.

Understood, but you could also mark the Surplus bucket as hidden to
keep it out of sight, or as Blair suggested, MoneyWell could figure
out what this surplus amount is when you first set up so you would
still get the goodness of the checking.

> I think it's great that we all can use the same tool in different
> ways. Please don't force a concrete link that would impose a different
> way of thinking on me. I don't want to see red flags that my buckets
> are out of balance, when to me they are perfectly balanced.

That's fine and could be achieved by putting an option to disable the
checking in the preferences if you truly did not want it. My argument
is that this type of checking should be enabled by DEFAULT, as this
seems to be a common stumbling block for new users.

If you really want to let your balances diverge, fine, but this should
be a conscience decision and you should be aware of the pitfalls in
doing so. Judging from the many posts to this group, most users are
unintentionally creating divergences between their balances and
getting confused.

-Lance