Fontforge shows no ligatures for Adobe Garamond; however, it does show
ligatures for the Tallys fonts.  So that probably explains why there are no
ligatures.

However, the font has a lot of kerning pairs, but I don't seem to be able turn
those on/off with the \definefontfeature directive as I could do in the Tallys
font.

And back to the original problem, en dash, em dash, quotes that work in other
fonts don't work here.  I can use \emdash, \endash, \quotesingle, etc., but
this creates more work when you get text from an author and is more prone to
error.

So is this a font problem?  Or is this something I'm doing wrong (and what)?

Thanks once again,
Bart