On Friday 21 November 2008 11:11:39 am Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 21.11.2008 um 18:25 schrieb Bart C. Wise:
> > Fontforge shows no ligatures for Adobe Garamond; however, it does show
> > ligatures for the Tallys fonts.  So that probably explains why there
> > are no
> > ligatures.
> >
> > However, the font has a lot of kerning pairs, but I don't seem to be
> > able turn
> > those on/off with the \definefontfeature directive as I could do in
> > the Tallys
> > font.
> >
> > And back to the original problem, en dash, em dash, quotes that work
> > in other
> > fonts don't work here.  I can use \emdash, \endash, \quotesingle,
> > etc., but
> > this creates more work when you get text from an author and is more
> > prone to
> > error.
> >
> > So is this a font problem?  Or is this something I'm doing wrong
> > (and what)?
>
> Give us more information, what format does your Garamond
> font has (type1, truetype or opentype). Have you tried
> to load the font without ConTeXts interface:
>
> \font\garamond="AGaramond-Regular:mapping=tex-text"
>
> \garamond fi ffi -- --- ``text'' fl
>
> \bye
>

> Can you try to test your typescript with MkIV if this
> makes a difference and finally, what is the output from
> "mtxrun --script fonts --list AGaramond* --info".
>
> Wolfgang

The above code works, the -- and --- get translated to endash and emdash, the
quotes look great.  Still no ligatures, but it doesn't seem that the font has
any.

I have no MkIV setup, and I'm in the middle of a project, so now is not a good
time to switch.  Is there a convenient way to try on TeXLive2008 without
changing my current setup?  If so, I'll give it a whirl.

$ mtxrun --script fonts --list AGaramond* --info
MtxRun | error unable to identify cnf file
MtxRun | error unable to identify cnf file
MtxRun | no cnf files found (TEXMFCNF may not be set/known)
MtxRun | unknown script: fonts

Something wrong with my TeXLive2008 installation?

Bart