John, I know for me it is that in 1 year, 10 months, and roughly 2 weeks I
get to retire and go work for a company that will hopefully pay me better or
not treat me like dirt simply because I try and save a bunch of (l)users
from stupid mistakes.  I am also tired of the after hours work for nothing
other than the management will not allow me to do it any other way and the
"but you were not authorized to work those hours" from managers that told me
to get the job done but not disrupt anyone else's work schedule.  I also
know for me the overtime stopped for the most part when I went from salary
to hourly.  Now the managers have to sign off in advance of any OT work of
any form.  I still get emails and calls asking for me to fix something on my
time off and I just refer them to my boss, I actually just forward the email
to my boss or if they do accidentally get me to answer the phone I tell them
to talk to him, he makes the rules.  I have never gotten a second request
and my junior has messed up a couple of times so no one asks him for
anything more than something simple, but then he has been very good at
hiding when there is work to be done anyway.  I also get to work hours that
for me mean I have to deal with the users a lot less, and makes the managers
stew a bit more, but my supervisior actually likes my hours.  I work 3 11.5
hour days and one 7 hour day.  On days with more than 8 hours I am suppose
to get a half hour for lunch but usually just stay in my office and ignore
the phone.  I also am at work a 4 am on my work days and since most of the
staff don't usually get in until about 9 most of my day is done.

Jon