Jon, you raise a lot of great points here.

I have to ask, aside from WHY we do it, what do we think we are?

Are we more like lawyers or accountants - or more like electricians or
plumbers?  Are we white-collar professionals, or blue-collar hourly workers?

If we are more like lawers, then what?  I have a lawyer friend who regularly
works 100+  hour weeks.  She also collected a $250,000 bonus last year, on
top of her $100,00 regular salary.

By saing that "We're just geeks, and that's why we do it," aren't we kind of
opening ourselves up for abuse by the employers who are aware of that and
more than eager to exploit it? I'm sure a lot of lawyers are "law geeks"
too, but they sure as heck seem to find ways to get compensated for their
time.

-- Durf

--
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day.