To wrap this up, I plan on closing OAK-7203 as won't fix.
I agree with the idea that the code itself should work without that
dependency, however the added complexity of having that reference dynamic
(over system restarts, not over a single run) it simply not worth the
trouble. The downside is obviously having to add another bundle to the
deployment list, and the docs should of course reflect this.

thanks,
alex