Ed,

There are two possible values for author: the author ID and the author
name. It seems to me that both are of interest -- the author ID would
be another entry point for getting more info, but the author name
allows immediate use/display of the work data. Would it be useful to
have both? Or is the author ID enough?

Also, subjects also have an ID in OL... so the same question applies.
Ed, got a gut feeling about this?

kc

Quoting Ed Summers <e...@pobox.com>:

> Kudos for keeping the linkeddata rdf views in the new version of
> OpenLibrary. I just noticed that the application/rdf+xml views seem to
> lack a namespace prefix definition for 'rdf'. This causes some tools
> to choke when parsing the XML. Also I noticed that the <ol:authors>
> element seems to have the wrong information in it. Maybe this would be
> a good time for me to try to patch the source? Is there a tracker of
> some kind you are using for bug reports like this?
>
> e...@curry:~/Downloads$ xmllint --format
> http://openlibrary.org/works/OL158398W.rdf
> http://openlibrary.org/works/OL158398W.rdf:4: namespace error :
> Namespace prefix rdf on RDF is not defined
>>
> ^
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <RDF xmlns:ol="http://openlibrary.org/type/work";>
>   <ol:lc_classifications>TK5105.888 .B46 1999</ol:lc_classifications>
>   <ol:title>Weaving the Web</ol:title>
>   <ol:covers>48833</ol:covers>
>   <ol:first_publish_date>1999</ol:first_publish_date>
>   <ol:key>/works/OL158398W</ol:key>
>   <ol:authors>http://openlibrary.org.rdf</ol:authors>
>   <ol:subject_people>Tim Berners-Lee</ol:subject_people>
>   <ol:type>http://openlibrary.org/type/work.rdf</ol:type>
>   <ol:subjects>World Wide Web</ol:subjects>
>   <ol:subjects>History</ol:subjects>
>   <ol:subjects>Accessible book</ol:subjects>
>   <ol:subjects>Protected DAISY</ol:subjects>
> </RDF>
>
> //Ed

Karen Coyle
kco...@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net