> Karen Coyle <kco...@kcoyle.net> wrote:
> There are two possible values for author: the author ID and the author
> name. It seems to me that both are of interest -- the author ID would
> be another entry point for getting more info, but the author name
> allows immediate use/display of the work data. Would it be useful to
> have both? Or is the author ID enough?

I agree with Jim. In an ideal world I think both is preferable...and
its doable from an rdf perspective. Clients would get a label to
display to a user, without having to resolve another identifier. And
they would also get a nice shiny author identifier to learn more about
the author, and for other people to reference in their data. You can
see this pattern in the lcsh data at id.loc.gov:

  http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh95000541.rdf

See that the concept is connected to its narrower, broader and related
concepts using the URI, but that the rdf also contains minimal
descriptions of these related URIs that include a skos:prefLabel? This
way someone can display the immediate network of concepts without
having to make a bunch of HTTP requests.

But basically whatever is easiest right now to fix the error of displaying:

 <ol:authors>http://openlibrary.org.rdf</ol:authors>

would be best I guess.

Thanks for asking!
//Ed