On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Karen Coyle <kco...@kcoyle.net> wrote:
> Agreed. However, we aren't using SKOS, so I'm thinking we'll use
> something like:
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL22022A";>
>          <rdf:value>Barbara Cartland</rdf:value>
>       </rdf:Description>
>
> Does that work for folks? Can you embed those rdf:Description
> properties at various levels with impunity?

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that you should use skos...in fact I think
that would be a mistake. I just wanted to point out that rdf would
support the 'both' option. While you definitely could use rdf:value,
since you are modeling people why not introduce a bit of foaf?

<rdf:Description rdf:about="http://openlibrary.org/authors/OL22022A";>
  <foaf:name>Barbara Cartland</rdf:value>
</rdf:Description>

> Also, is there any feeling, strong or otherwise, about substituting dc
> terms where appropriate in the place of ol terms, or is everyone fine
> with doing their own translates from ol properties to whatever they
> use locally?

+1 for trying to reuse other vocabularies where you can, instead of
creating a new one

//Ed

[1] http://viaf.org/viaf/48369992/rdf.xml