Whatever method you use I heartily recommend doing so on a testing system and having catalogers look over the results first. You may have already done all the due diligence but I say it for anyone reading along as well. I've never had problems with this method and heard back from others with positive success with it as well but I also heard from at least one whose data was apparently different enough that it was not a clean merge. Caveat usor, let the user beware.

We used this method for identifying the duplicate records. We found that it merged electronic resources with books. It connected other formats as well. We learned the hard way that we need to have better MARC records before we run such a tool. Tons of MARC from LOC, includes all of the ISBN's of the related formats for example. We subsequently wrote an enormous amount of code to "guess" the correct format for all of our bibs before deduping them. It uses phrase matching in the MARC. We presented this at the Evergreen conference 2015. Slides here: http://slides.mobiusconsortium.org/blake/evergreencatclean/#/
If you are curious, ping me.

-Blake-
Conducting Magic
MOBIUS