Hi all,

To add to what Rogan and Terran said, I love seeing this discussion on the list just as I love seeing discussions like this in IRC. Anything that gets us all talking about ways to improve the software will lead to seeing those improvements implemented in the software. But Rogan is correct in that we need to have technical and front line staff talking with each other, which is why I'm glad to see this discussion happening on the general list and not on a list where there may be fewer developers subscribed.

Despite the understanding our developers may have about library workflows, I think there are times when assumptions are made about workflow that don't exactly match what libraries experience. There is no substitute for the feedback developers can get from those who are using the software every day and experiencing the effect of bugs or missing features.

However, I want to reiterate what Terran said about getting these issues in Launchpad. In addition, comments should be added to those bugs that link to any discussions we have on the list or in IRC. Whatever anyone may think about Launchpad, it is the way developers are able to organize their work and track what fixes / improvements need to be made. If links to these discussions aren't added to the Launchpad discussion, the developers may move in a direction that's different from what was agreed upon in a previous e-mail thread.

Also, there are many reasons why people may not want to or cannot use IRC. It certainly is much more feasible to be frequently active in IRC when you aren't working at a circulation or reference desk for large portions of the day. However, I want to stress that IRC is available for all Evergreen users, not just the technical users. The level of discussion depends on who is in IRC at a given time and what is being discussed. If somebody is looking for installation help or if developers are discussing how to get code to work in a certain way, the discussion is going to be necessarily technical. However, sometimes, developers are discussing implementation approaches, and these questions would really benefit from end user feedback.

I would have loved to have seen more end-user insight into discussions like the one here - http://irc.evergreen-ils.org/evergreen/2017-09-27#i_327096. There have also been times when we specifically ping acquisitions or cataloging folks in IRC to get answers to questions about workflows or to get details about how a feature should work.

One might argue that those types of questions should be posted to the list, but that doesn't always happen, particularly when somebody is looking for a quick answer for a project that are working on in the moment. If we have a good balance of developers and end users both on the lists and in IRC, then we can build better bridges between all of our users with the ultimate result being better software for all.

I'm not saying all this to push people into using a platform they don't feel comfortable with, but if others are interested in joining IRC once in a while, I don't want them to be scared off because they think the talk might be too technical or that its primary audience is developers.

Now that we know there is an audience who wants to discuss Web Client issues in library-speak, our consortium will share more of its discoveries and issues here.
Yes, please do! I think this will be very helpful for those who are just starting to use the web client and those who are planning to move to it very soon!

Kathy