Thanks for your replies.
simple setup. Systems are Fedora Core 8 (kernel-2.6.23.15)  with open-
iscsi as initiator and IET as target.Both have single NIC card with
IPv4/IPv6 address configuration.

-- Yes the portal are discovered via send targets and configured for
automatic logins. The problem here is, it opens two sessions to the
same target via both IPv4/IPv6 portals. I am yet to look into iface
readme file.

--Yes, I need the volume exported by the target to be mapped to same
sd<id> say sdb.
I looked in forums and tried to configure the udev rules and configure
ietd.conf with ScsiId param.
For example, my ietd.conf

Target iqn.2008-03.storageserver:storage.target1
Lun 1 Path=/dev/VolGroup00/
target1,Type=blockio,ScsiId=1234567890123456

The value shown up at the initiator
[EMAIL PROTECTED] rules.d]$ sudo scsi_id -g -s /block/sdc
 1 49 45 54 00 00 00 00 00 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 30 31 32 33 34
35 36

It seems, id is shown up as ASCII values in Hex. to reflect this I
changed again the udev rule, but not successful. I am not sure whether
this is a good solution( since I need to create udev rule in each
system for consistently mapping as a local drive)  and if it is, I
believe I do not have correct configurations.

-- Konrad,
Can I get some explanation on multipath suggestion. I am newbie to
this field. How it will work for single NIC card configured with two
versions of IP address ? Any links on this topic would be great.

Regards
Padmanabhan