I saw below the download link that open-iscsi-2.0-870 supports kernel 2.6.27
and i don't remember the version it comes with, 86something.  I finally got
to work around this by moving it to the first to shutdown in /etc/rc6.d . I
moved it around different orders, but it finally worked when I made it the
first to shutdown.