Hi Sam,

What yo usuggest  is OK . But the issue is who is to decide what is right
and what is wrong. Should it not be the prerogative of the clinician.

There are situations where medical decisions are based upon results which
trigger clinical decisions. How would you hide a wrong result once it has
been acted upon by the clinician. Example a report of Serum Potassium of say
6.0 has been sent to the clinician. This is a medical emergency and the
clinician has to act upon it to reduce the high level. His action is based
upon the result. If he does not act it will be an act of medical negligence.
The lab thereafter does a correction and replaces the result of the test
say Potassium of 4.0. In the scenario suggested by you this would mean that
the result will be filtered out and not be available to the clinician. The
question that will arise is the support for the action taken by the
clinicians would in the absence of the report be an act of negligence. In
reality the result has been withdrawn. This  would raise the possibility of
a malpractice suit. Alternatively the patient has an adverse event because
of the action of the doctor and the support team views the results and find
that there is no Result to support the clinicians action the clinicians
action giving rise to another conflict situation.

All reports which have been released shall not be available for being
withdrawn and replaced for legal and professional standpoint a report can be
appended to and not cancelled. The audit trail is necessary and a mandatory
keeping in mind the laws that are coming into place to deal with electronic
transaction.

For any successful system once the report has been released there is to be
no way that result can be withdrawn by the releasing department in this case
the pathology department so that it is no longer visible. It is essential
that ability to modify / alter/ change shall be through an audit trail and
the old and new values are to be available within the pathology module. The
ability to modify should how ever be restricted to the pathology department
till the time the report has not been released. Once released they(pathology
Dept) will also have no rite to cancel it in anti time. This report can
then be acted upon through a way that could be that the value is to be
blocked would be through a date and time stamp and marking the result with a
flag that says for example " to be ignored". This will cover the clinician
in case any action has been taken by him and the lab has corrected itself
and maintain the sanctity of the record being generated.

 RGDS
Bhupinder