> > tim> sco5-gcc FAILS (removing ${x86_elf_asm} should fix this)
> > tim>          I don't think anyone tries to put gnu ld on
> > tim>          SCO OpenServer 5.
> >
> > In any case, as far as I see we have two choices for 0.9.7:
> >
> > 1. insert the proposed perl filter (it works as stated, and I feel
> >    quite confident with it, since Perl works the same everywhere).

... and modify corresponding lines in ./Configure, right?

> I vote for putting the perl filter in the solaris section.

Solaris section? Why are we discussing most *confusing* way to solve it?
Unified rule for all ELF platforms (yes, including Solaris) is possible
and we should strive for that, not try to overload *kluges*.

> It won't do anything for SCO OpenServer but it will make UnixWare/OpenUNIX
> work and probably any other SVR4. (like ReliantUNIX)
>
> > 2. write a blurb in PROBLEMS stating that for assembler modules to
> >    work properly on Intel-based Unixen, it is *required* that GNU as
> >    be installed.

Which is not 100% true [as there is a kludge implemented for Solaris and
it covers just for vendor ass(embler:-)] and most important is somewhat
misleading. Because it was established that it was vendor cpp which
ruins the build by injecting offending spaces and this would ruin it
even for GNU assembler! Blurb should probably be phrased as "assembler
modules are not *guaranteed* to work on Intel-based none-GNU Unix
platforms" or something like that (as "none-GNU Unix" is really a
nonsense phrase when you think about it:-).

There are two more options.

3. Remove ${x86_elf_asm} from sco5-gcc line.

4. Replace ${x86_elf_asm} in sco5-gcc rule with ${x86_sol_asm} and that
would be *it*. No, no extra filter should be required as it will be GNU
cpp which will preprocess the .cpp file and no offending spaces will be
injected. Yes, I'm contradicting to myself here, but this is not my
vote, #3 is. For 0.9.7 that is.

A.