A lot of developers have waited a very long time for 0.9.7, over two years, and now
that its in final beta tests, a discussion is active about making major changes to it.
Does not make sense.

Ken

> On Thu, 26 Dec 2002, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
>
> levitte >In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Thu, 26 Dec 2002 23:31:38
>+0100, Andy Polyakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> levitte >
> levitte >appro> Yet I'd dare:-) If it was up to me and if Tim is with us [i.e. is
>ready
> levitte >appro> to swiftly verify a snapshot on explicit request], I'd pull it
>[unified
> levitte >appro> *586-elf.o rules] even now:-) I have Linux and Solaris/Intel,
> levitte >appro> login.openssl.org is a FreeBSD machine... So shall we?
> levitte >
> levitte >I suggest not.  Can you say that you cover for all possible variants
> levitte >of Linux?  All variants of FreeBSD?  What about OpenBSD?  What about
> levitte >NetBSD?
>
> I'm ready to test.
> But Richard is right, we're talking about a major change.
>
> [snip]
> levitte >appro> As far as I can tell the only target that shouldn't work in
> levitte >appro> 0.9.7-beta6 is sco5-gcc and only if you don't have GNU
> levitte >appro> assembler around. The rest of targets should work.  They lack
> levitte >appro> assembler support, but they're operational. What is being
> levitte >appro> discussed here is *proposed* patch adding support for assembler
> levitte >appro> modules to the targets in question.
> levitte >
> levitte >OK, now I have a better picture.  For some reason, I didn't see the
> levitte >beginning of this thread.  If sco5-gcc currently doesn't use any
> levitte >assembler and "works" with such a configuration, I'd also leave it be
> levitte >until 0.9.7a.
>
> Here is where we stand.
> Without adding my patch to support ASM on UnixWare and OpenServer
>
> The UnixWare cc targets are OK
> sco3-gcc      OK
> sco5-cc and sco5-cc-pentiun OK
> sco5-gcc      FAILS (removing ${x86_elf_asm} should fix this)
>               I don't think anyone tries to put gnu ld on
>               SCO OpenServer 5.
>
> I'd really like to see the ... sed 's/^#.*//' ... in
> openssl-0.9.7/crypto/bf/Makefile.ssl
> openssl-0.9.7/crypto/bn/Makefile.ssl
> openssl-0.9.7/crypto/cast/Makefile.ssl
> openssl-0.9.7/crypto/des/Makefile.ssl
> openssl-0.9.7/crypto/md5/Makefile.ssl
> openssl-0.9.7/crypto/rc4/Makefile.ssl
> openssl-0.9.7/crypto/rc5/Makefile.ssl
> openssl-0.9.7/crypto/ripemd/Makefile.ssl
> openssl-0.9.7/crypto/sha/Makefile.ssl
> replaced with ... perl -pi -e 's/ ?([\.,@]) +/\1/g; s/ +:/:/g; s/#.*//;' ...
> in 0.9.7
>
> Then we could add ${x86_sol_asm} to the UnixWare/OpenUNIX targets
> giving them asm support.
>
> We can leave the major rework to 0.9.7a
>

> --
> Tim Rice                              Multitalents    (707) 887-1469
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Support
InterSoft International, Inc.
Voice: 888-823-1541, International 281-398-7060
Fax: 888-823-1542, International 281-398-0221
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.securenetterm.com