On Thu, 26 Dec 2002, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

levitte >In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Thu, 26 Dec 2002 23:31:38
+0100, Andy Polyakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
levitte >
levitte >appro> Yet I'd dare:-) If it was up to me and if Tim is with us [i.e. is ready
levitte >appro> to swiftly verify a snapshot on explicit request], I'd pull it [unified
levitte >appro> *586-elf.o rules] even now:-) I have Linux and Solaris/Intel,
levitte >appro> login.openssl.org is a FreeBSD machine... So shall we?
levitte >
levitte >I suggest not.  Can you say that you cover for all possible variants
levitte >of Linux?  All variants of FreeBSD?  What about OpenBSD?  What about
levitte >NetBSD?

I'm ready to test.
But Richard is right, we're talking about a major change.

[snip]
levitte >appro> As far as I can tell the only target that shouldn't work in
levitte >appro> 0.9.7-beta6 is sco5-gcc and only if you don't have GNU
levitte >appro> assembler around. The rest of targets should work.  They lack
levitte >appro> assembler support, but they're operational. What is being
levitte >appro> discussed here is *proposed* patch adding support for assembler
levitte >appro> modules to the targets in question.
levitte >
levitte >OK, now I have a better picture.  For some reason, I didn't see the
levitte >beginning of this thread.  If sco5-gcc currently doesn't use any
levitte >assembler and "works" with such a configuration, I'd also leave it be
levitte >until 0.9.7a.

Here is where we stand.
Without adding my patch to support ASM on UnixWare and OpenServer

The UnixWare cc targets are OK
sco3-gcc        OK
sco5-cc and sco5-cc-pentiun OK
sco5-gcc        FAILS (removing ${x86_elf_asm} should fix this)
                I don't think anyone tries to put gnu ld on
                SCO OpenServer 5.

I'd really like to see the ... sed 's/^#.*//' ... in
openssl-0.9.7/crypto/bf/Makefile.ssl
openssl-0.9.7/crypto/bn/Makefile.ssl
openssl-0.9.7/crypto/cast/Makefile.ssl
openssl-0.9.7/crypto/des/Makefile.ssl
openssl-0.9.7/crypto/md5/Makefile.ssl
openssl-0.9.7/crypto/rc4/Makefile.ssl
openssl-0.9.7/crypto/rc5/Makefile.ssl
openssl-0.9.7/crypto/ripemd/Makefile.ssl
openssl-0.9.7/crypto/sha/Makefile.ssl
replaced with ... perl -pi -e 's/ ?([\.,@]) +/\1/g; s/ +:/:/g; s/#.*//;' ...
in 0.9.7

Then we could add ${x86_sol_asm} to the UnixWare/OpenUNIX targets
giving them asm support.

We can leave the major rework to 0.9.7a

--
Tim Rice                                Multitalents    (707) 887-1469
[EMAIL PROTECTED]