As a core dev I want to feel that I'm still able to do valuable code
submission myself, while also doing the important code review work.
IOW, I don't want to end up with core team job requiring 100% of time
to be spent on review cycles, as from my POV that ends up with little
to no job satisfaction. Core needs to be able to maintain a balance
between doing review and being able to scratch the itch in their own
areas of coding interest.

Well said. This is something I personally struggle with.

-jay